Thursday, March 15, 2012

Kale & Brussels Sprout Salad

I subscribe to a organic produce delivery service from Klesick Family Farm. This week I received a bag of braising mix. Braising mix is a mix of kale and other leafy greens that are a bit overgrown, meaning they are bigger, heartier, and less tender. Usually braising mix is used for heated dishes but I chose to use it for a salad. This is what I did with it:

First, I downloaded a recipe from Bon Appetite called Kale & Brussels Sprout Salad. I had to go to the store to get some of the items on the list and I got started.

I squeezed the lemon and crushed the garlic and added it to the dressing ingredients. I also crushed the almonds in preparation for toasting them. 

Following the directions in the recipe, I sauteed them and they turned out sooo delicious...and I don't even really care for almonds.


Next, I chopped the kale mix and the Brussels sprouts.


This cheese, Pecorino, was $10.99 at Safeway, so it was a pretty spendy purchase. The deli attendant, who had been married to an Italian man who used fine cheese religiously for 15 years, convinced me not to substitute it for another cheese. I didn't.



I served it all as described in the directions and it wasn't the biggest hit. My husband, who doesn't really like veggies, grimaced twice while eating it. I, who had loaded a huge salad plate full of the mixture, had a hard time getting through it all. The reason:

Kale is such a hearty leaf. I'm not sure its for me in raw form. Maybe I could use just a handful in a whole bowl of regular salad greens. Or perhaps add it to a hot dish. The dressing in the recipe is DELICIOUS and so are the toasted almonds. The cheese was excellent, too. By all means, give this recipe a whirl...at the very least, your body will thank you for the vitamins, phytochemicals, and fiber.

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon minced shallot
  • 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 large bunches of Tuscan kale (about 1 1/2 lb. total), center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
  • 12 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1/3 cup almonds with skins, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup finely grated Pecorino


Preparation

  • Combine lemon juice, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Stir to blend; set aside to let flavors meld. Mix thinly sliced kale and shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl.
  • Measure 1/2 cup oil into a cup. Spoon 1 Tbsp. oil from cup into a small skillet; heat oil over medium-high heat. Add almonds to skillet and stir frequently until golden brown in spots, about 2 minutes. Transfer nuts to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle almonds lightly with salt.
  • Slowly whisk remaining olive oil in cup into lemon-juice mixture. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Dressing, kale mixture, and toasted almonds can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover dressing and kale mixture separately and chill. Cover almonds and let stand at room temperature.
  • Add dressing and cheese to kale mixture; toss to coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Garnish with almonds.

    • nutritional information

      10 servings, 1 serving contains:
      Calories (kcal) 195.6
      %Calories from Fat 70.3
      Fat (g) 15.3
      Saturated Fat (g) 3.2
      Cholesterol (mg) 8.0
      Carbohydrates (g) 8.7
      Dietary Fiber (g) 3.3
      Total Sugars (g) 2.0
      Net Carbs (g) 5.5
      Protein (g) 8.1
      Sodium (mg) 303.9


    No comments:

    Post a Comment